Wednesday 12 September 2012

Catching Butterflies


I have been trying to be a little more disciplined. Tricky as that is, I have managed with some success, to paint on my two days off. I pretty much ignored the washing pile - (which would have made Edmund Hillary, hang up his climbing ropes). I took no notice of the washing up, I thought about cleaning the bathroom  - and then decided that it could wait. Instead I went to the local artshop and bought myself some watercolour paper large enough to start a double page spread illustration on. 

I worked on this for two to three days - and I'm happy with the results. It will be another piece for my portfolio - which is bulking out nicely now. 
I wanted to show potential publishers that I understood the limitations of designing a full spread illustration and take into account the positioning of the gutter, creating a scene which moves the readers eyes naturally  across the two pages from left to right.


2 comments:

  1. I think you have certainly succeeded in demonstrating an understanding of layout while making an absolutely gorgeous illustration. I can't imagine it will be too long before you're commissioned for a book. Your work is amazing! (Btw, Sir Edmund Hillary wouldn't just hang up his ropes at our house, he'd have to have a lie-down too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jodi - I really appreciate your comment - That's so funny about Edmund Hilary!

    ReplyDelete